Routine Maintenance and Upkeep
Broken links have been removed or repaired. Unfortunately there are some entries in the morgue, hopefully we can get them resolved this month. There have not been many updates to the website this month, but my “background notes” of entries I want to add have grown. I tend to fiddle with them offline, do my research, get my verbiage straight, find the iconography I want, then add them at the very end.
These are the articles and videos which I shared in August which I think are beneficial to the medieval living history community. To see them in real time, follow on Facebook.
- Featured group: Dawn Of Chivalry [13th c.] Hartlepool, Durham
- Merchant Highlight: Boots by Bohemond – my personal favorite maker of turnshoes and boots. Also sells good pouches and other leather goods.
- Tutorial of the Day: St. Birgitta’s Huva (Cap) by the Maniacle Medievalist
- A YouTube video of Paul Butler performing Cantiga 48 “Tanto son da groriosa”
- Video Channel Spotlight: Historic Echoes
- A YouTube video by Daisy Viktoria on wearing a veil & wimple
- Book Spotlight: The Schoole of the Noble and Worthy Science of Defence by Joseph Swetnam, 1617
- Merchant Highlight: ArmourAndCastings – medieval accessories, castings (belt fitting etc), leather work, and armor.
- A YouTube video from Popula Urbanum on a knightly overgown
- Artisan Highlight: Art of Steel – 14th to 16th century plate armor and related products.
- A Facebook album of an exemplary archery impression
- Website Highlight: Fightin’ ’round the World
- Merchant Highlight: Tods Workshop – accurate and detailed historical reproduction crossbows, sword scabbards, swords, daggers and other medieval weapons, and artefacts
How Two Medieval released three episodes in August!
- Episode 32 – H2M Reacts to The Green Knight and Last Duel Trailers (51:34) – Matt and I discuss the trailers two upcoming medieval themed theatrical release movies.
- Episode 33 – The Anthropology Perspective with Madeleine Smith (50:06) – Matt and I inviote Madeleine Smith aboard to discuss reenactment by approaching history from the anthropological perspective.
- Episode 34 – Mini Episode Five (Personas w/ Matt) (8:45) – Enjoy some one on one time with Matt in our first mini episode in a long while.
ursuing the Knightly Arts in making a short punchline-short film. Those who support on Patreon were also able to see some behind the scenes papers such as script notes and my terrible story board sketches. For your viewing pleasure:
The Meme Machine
I am excited to have produced two memes again this month. As per my preferred pattern, one is comical and one is a bit more philosophical. This yeet meme is my daughter’s favorite yet.
August Hall of Fame
A highlight of some of the most popular things on the Turnip Network. Do you have content you think is a candidate next month? Tag me, send a message, shoot over an email and I will feature them on the appropriate pages. If you make the top, you’ll get a mention in the newsletter!
For a chance to make it on this list tag me in your post on Facebook or send me an instant message and I may share it!
- The Archer impression by Toxophilus.
- Daisy Viktoria’s veil and wimple video.
- Paul Butler’s rendition of Tanto son da Groriosa
Filming on the tent-upcycle project is under way, though stalled by the fact that there’s a considerable amount of work to do to the actual tent between takes, and so filming can only go as fast as the project itself. I’ve also had a renewed vigor of video ideas, and have scripts for thirty videos in various stages of draft. Many of them require tools and material culture I don’t have yet, but now I have a goal for procurement. The new computer has been a dream to use compared to the broken down old one. If you want to see more videos and faster consider subscribing on patreon where you can support future episodes as well as getting behind the scenes content and have have access to the polls which guide upcoming content.