Ari (AKA The Turnip of Terror) is a medieval reenactment and living history participant, historical weapons martial artist, and armor enthusiast. He has participated in living history and reenactment activities both professionally and as a hobby since 2006. He got his start in 19th century maritime living history as well as a come and go member of the SCA. The Turnip of Terror website and its related Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube and Patreon pages are where Ari curates and shares medieval content, both his and from around the world. He maintains reliable link and resource lists, shares reviews of events, interviews with prominent figures in the hobby, tips, product reviews, videos, community resources, etc. delivered with a unique blend of humor and heart.
- Co-host of the How Two Medieval Podcast (RSS link), a show focused on laying out basic medieval living history and reenactment concepts in an easy to digest audio format.
- The voice of the Medieval Herauld (RSS link), a simple, and direct medieval news brief sharing stories, news, and developments in the study of medieval history of interest to those seeking to develop authentic and accurate living history and reenactment impressions.
- Named The Turnip of Terra Australis Incognita by Elden of the Company of the Staple
- Appears in the video How To Improve Your Impression – Hierarchies in the Medieval Cities by Popula Urbanum
- Produced a #medievalminute video for the Abbey Medieval Festival‘s Facebook page.
- Featured on Living History Live with a presentation on medieval armor.
- A guest on The Greenwood podcast to discuss reenactment in the digital age.
He contributes a recurring article to the online magazine Explosive Runes called “Beatsticks” adding historical context to the weapons of fantasy role-playing games.
I do plenty of product reviews of things I already own, but if you’re interested in making sure I review a specific product for your company, the following applies:
- Contact me via email, messenger, DM, etc. with either a link to the product, or with pictures and description of the product for review. I reserve the right to refuse to review anything that isn’t in keeping with the living history aesthetic of the hobby. I do not review non-historical products, tech, or fantasy themed products.
- Unsolicited products are not assured a review. If a review is agreed on, the review will be published. Products received will not be returned. Products not used by myself will be retained for donations or used as part of promotions or give-aways.
- Reviewed content cannot be sponsored. All products received for review will be disclosed as such in accordance with FTC Endorsement requirements.
- All products will receive a link to your website as well as any other web locations you choose.
Many giveaway products come from reviews or personal purchases. If you are interested in offering products for sweepstakes events the following rules will apply
- No purchase necessary.
- Prizes will be shipped anywhere in the Continental US.
- All prizes offered during a sweepstakes will be awarded.
- Winners will be selected at random.
- The winning entries will be announced on all platforms promoting the giveaway sweepstakes.
- If the prize is sponsored, the sponsoring company will have their business and address (web or physical, their preference) included in the giveaway promotional descriptions.
- Retail price and a description of every item will be identified for each giveaway.
- To avoid having to handle the SSN of American contestants until secure methods of storing this information are available; no giveaway prizes over $600 will be accepted or offered at this time.
If you are interested in sponsoring content on the Turnip of Terror channels contact via email for pricing, as pricing reflects which platforms you are interested in.
- I reserve the right to refuse sponsorships which do not reflect the needs of my audience or my own quality standards. I do not sponsor non-historical products, tech, or fantasy themed products.
- Sponsorship can be negotiated in product or currency.
- All sponsored posts will be identified as such in accordance with platform requirements.
- All sponsors will receive a link to your website as well as any other web locations you choose.