Ari (AKA The Turnip of Terror) is a medieval reenactment and living history participant, historical weapons martial artist, and armor enthusiast. He has participated in living history and reenactment activities both professionally and as a hobby since 2006. He got his start in 19th century maritime living history as well as a come and go member of the SCA. The Turnip of Terror website and its related Facebook, Instagram, and Patreon pages are where Ari documents his progress of developing and vetting an authentic living history impression as well as documenting his foibles so others aspiring to do the same can avoid the same pitfalls. He maintains reliable link and resource lists, shares reviews of events, interviews with prominent figures in the hobby, tips, product reviews, videos, community resources, etc. delivered with a unique blend of humor and heart.
Ari is also the co-host of the How Two Medieval Podcast, a show focused on laying out basic medieval living history and reenactment concepts in an easy to digest audio format.
He contributes a recurring article to the online magazine Explosive Runes called “Beatsticks” adding historical context to the weapons of fantasy role-playing games.
I do plenty of product reviews of things I already own, but if you’re interested in making sure I review a specific product for your company, the following applies:
- Contact me via email with either a link to the product, or with pictures and description of the product for review. I reserve the right to refuse to review anything that isn’t in keeping with the living history aesthetic of the hobby. I do not review non-historical products, tech, or fantasy themed products.
- Products, whether or not they receive a published review, will not be returned. Products not used by myself will be retained for donations or used as part of promotions or give-aways.
- Posts cannot be sponsored. All products received for review will be disclosed as such in accordance with FTC Endorsement requirements.
- All products will receive a link to your website as well as any other web locations you choose.
Many giveaway products come from reviews or personal purchases. If you are interested in offering products for sweepstakes events the following rules will apply
- No purchase necessary.
- Prizes will be shipped anywhere in the Continental US.
- All prizes offered during a sweepstakes will be awarded.
- Winners will be selected at random.
- The winning entries will be announced on all platforms promoting the giveaway sweepstakes.
- If the prize is sponsored, the sponsoring company will have their business and address (web or physical, their preference) included in the giveaway promotional descriptions.
- Retail price and a description of every item will be identified for each giveaway.
- To avoid having to handle the SSN of American contestants until secure methods of storing this information are available; no giveaway prizes over $600 will be accepted or offered at this time.